About Me

Wife, mum, Stoic. Life is GOOD.

Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Vignettes

I can't sleep so I thought I'd share these few little glimpses of Singapore life from the last couple of days.

Yesterday.... A very fat Chinese man on a folding bike with VERY small wheels, legs akimbo, cycling too fast down the hill on the wrong side of the road against the traffic. Looking very scared. I wish I could draw cartoons....

Yesterday afternoon.... The most amazing storm. Constant, unceasing lightning and thunder right on top of us, for about 15 minutes. Torrential monsoon rain. Me, standing outside, waiting for Joshua's school bus. The sulphurous smell of lightning all around me. The crashing noise. Blinding flashes of light.

This morning..... The Botanic Gardens at 8.30am on a public holiday. Families out walking. Kids on scooters. Couples holding hands. Runners and dog walkers. Boot camps. Tai chi - so graceful with fans and swords. A big group of Aunties line-dancing to screechy Chinese music blaring from an ancient 1980s tape player - quite surreal. The ginger-and-white cat that always sits outside the entrance to the Orchid Garden. Photographers. Tourists. Locals. Me, running my 7km, loving the atmosphere.

This afternoon.... Driving past the Botanic Gardens up a quiet side road. A car stopped by the side of the road, jacked up. One wheel off. Young chap changing the wheel....dressed for a wedding. His wedding? Dress shirt, sleeves rolled up, waistcoat and bowtie. Standing next to him.... The bride. In her long, full-skirted white satin and lace dress and veil. Holding her bouquet in front of her as if ready to walk down the aisle. Why was she holding her bouquet like that, I wonder?

I love this city :)

1 comment:

  1. You just painted the most wonderful pictures with your words, Kerry!

    Thanks for sharing your view of what must be a very cool city.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.