Monday, 8 November 2010

Highlights - Hallowe'en, horseriding and Happy Deepavali :)

It's been a busy couple of weeks! So busy with activities, work, holidays and the general ups and downs of life that I haven't had a chance to sit down and write. So this is just going to be highlights - a flavour of what's been happening in the Cracknell household recently :)

HALLOWE'EN....
This year, Hallowe'en was a 'first' for us! Neither Bob nor I ever made much of Hallowe'en as kids - it's only in recent years that it's become a big thing in the UK.  By the time we had the kids it had become a big thing worldwide - but then our kids were scared of it! Not just a bit scared - absolutely terrified. The masks and decorations in the shops, with scary faces and fake blood, freaked them out. I even had to keep Isabel (then aged 3) away from school last year on Hallowe'en party day - she didn't want to go near the place.

But this year....  Suddenly, they were really into it :) So we booked to go away to Malaysia that weekend, to Riders Lodge (http://www.riderslodge.com.my/index.htm) - where there would be face-painting, trick-or-treating round the hotel, and a Hallowe'en costume parade. Joshua decided to go as a wizard and Isabel (who has very recently discovered movies, and is very taken with The Wizard Of Oz) decided to go as The Wicked Witch Of The West and get all "greened up" as she put it. They were excited about buying their capes and hats. They LOVED it when I made wands for them out of sticks and tin foil. They were delighted with their pumpkins for collecting treats. The party was a HUGE hit and they were incredibly good about not stuffing all the sweeties all at once - they had one or two, and the others have been doled out for treats and bribes :) All in all.....a success!



HORSERIDING...
Another 'first' for the kids. They have been begging to go horseriding since we were in the UK this summer (but couldn't, as Isabel hadn't turned 4 yet). So we had been counting the sleeps to this weekend for weeks!  Their first experience of riding was a 30-minute jungle ride. Joshua could hardly contain himself while we were waiting for the horses and grooms, and when he was installed on the back of an enormous horse (it looked enormous, with him perched up top, anyway) he was the happiest little boy in the world at that moment! Isabel was soon installed on a horse that was only slightly less enormous and off we went - Bob and I walking.

That was a big hit.....but then Pony Club was scheduled in for that afternoon. Pony Club at Riders Lodge is an hour-long, groom-led "lesson" for small kids - disguised as a bunch of games.  Brilliant concept - the kids had a blast, their confidence soared, they were doing 'riding-lesson' things without even realising it....all in all, a definite must-do-again experience. So they did it again, on the Sunday morning! I am now required to sort out riding 'lessons' for them here in Singapore and we will certainly be going back to Riders Lodge again for more of the same. In fact, I might join them. Riding is good for the core muscles and tones up the legs.....and if Isabel is going to be heading off into the jungle on the back of a horse on a regular basis in the coming years, I think I want to be there :)  I did suggest it to Bob but he doesn't think he would be allowed on a horse.....needs to lose some weight first! 


HAPPY DEEPAVALI!
Deepavali - the Hindu Festival of Lights. It symbolises the triumph of light over darkness, and good over evil. For us, when we lived in South London and then in India, it symbolised "Get out of the city for the whole weekend if you don't want to get blown up by a firecracker under the car...." - particularly in India, where no holds are barred at all over Deepavali!  Now, in Singapore, we enjoy it much more. The kids always dress up in Indian dress for a school party or performance. Bob and I use it as an excuse to eat lots of Indian food (well, we don't need another excuse for that really....but any reason to eat curry is good!) And there's a public holiday, which means a day spent doing something as a family. This year was no exception. We ate Indian food. We spent Friday together as a family. Joshua did brilliantly in his Deepavali performance at school today and Isabel has a Deepavali party tomorrow, for which she will wear her sparkly Indian outfit. And the kids have learned something about another culture, which I love. That is one of the great things about living in Asia - they are going to grow up with a greater understanding of all sorts of cultures, religions, stories and festivals. Which is ultimately what will help light to triumph over darkness! Happy Deepavali!




1 comment:

  1. All great stuff!

    Your kids looked adorable for Halloween!

    I wish Deepavali were celebrated more here in the US. We should all be celebrating the triumph of light over darkness and good over evil! What a fabulous festival! I think it's fantastic that your kids are getting this exposure to other cultures, religions, beliefs, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.