About Me

Wife, mum, Stoic. Life is GOOD.

Friday, 26 November 2010

Balance sheet for the week ending 26/11/2010

It's been a week of ups and downs here. I'm going to draw up a balance sheet, starting last Friday (is that cheating? I guess strictly speaking it should start on Friday evening but let's add on a few hours) and hope that when I get to the bottom, we are in the black and not the red. I don't actually know at this point how this exercise is going to turn out - I'm writing this on the fly, and my brain is so fried I have no idea if I'm even making sense. Let's see how we go....these are in no particular order of importance or date....it's just as they occur to me.

ASSETS (the ups):
1.  Josh's class assembly last Friday was fantastic. He spoke beautifully - really confidently. I was SO proud of him!
2.  Josh got a certificate in his class assembly - in front of all the Mums from his class - for his hard work and willing attitude.
3,  Isabel performed beautifully in her school Christmas concert on Thursday - joined in all the songs and the actions (unlike last year, when she froze like a rabbit in the headlights and wouldn't do a thing!)
4.  I was reminded again just how much love and support there is out there in the DOC and amongst my good friends here in Singapore when Isabel was in hospital over the weekend and again today when she was sick this morning.  Thank you to all my friends and family for the virtual hugs :) xoxo
5.  It was Thanksgiving yesterday, and reading all the posts and seeing the photos from my American friends reminded me again how much I have to be thankful for. I'm a lucky girl. 
6.  Despite today being a really tough day, I managed to meet both my evening deadlines.
7.  Bob is on his way back from Sydney :)
8.  Isabel made it into school today for the visit from Father Christmas, despite a pukey start to the day.
9.  I ran 6km on Thursday - OK, it wasn't the 8km I had planned but it was a good run :)
10.  Isabel finished the week back on top form again.
11.  I swam 1200m on Wednesday - first time in the pool for a couple of weeks and first swim over 1000m since April.
12.  I updated my work spreadsheet this evening and realised I will be billing more than I have ever billed, this month. We might get that loan paid off at this rate!
13.  Josh and Daddy had a grand day out on Sunday and Josh got the Buzz Lightyear toy that he has been wanting for weeks!
14.  Isabel has a new favourite toy - Dinosaur - from Daddy (actually it's joint favourite with Horsey, who will never be replaced)
15.  Toy Story 3 finally appeared on iTunes!
16.  Isabel had a great swimming lesson yesterday - her freestyle is coming along beautifully
17.  I think I worked out (with Dr Lee's help) what is bothering Isabel's tummy since her bug - possible temporary lactose intolerance??? Anyway, we avoided dairy this afternoon and she is MUCH better.
18.  I made a friend laugh all evening with my story of Gelya's cat and the chickens' feet in St Petersburg in 1993 (OK, yes one day I'll write it down!)
19.  Isabel was delighted with her present from Father Christmas this morning and hasn't stopped telling me all day that it was just what she always wanted (it was a Tinkerbell colouring book, bless her!)
20.  Isabel threw her arms around me yesterday and told me I was the best Mummy in the world :) at a moment when I really needed to hear it!


LIABILITIES (the downs):
1.  Isabel had a tummy bug and had to be in hospital on a drip, Sunday night and most of Monday.
2.  I have had very little sleep in the last 7 days and what I have had has been broken down into 1-hour slots, pretty much. So I am pretty jaded, this evening.
3.  I got a parking ticket!
4.  Isabel's BG has been All. Over. The. Shop. since Sunday/Monday in hospital. 
5.  Bob has been in Sydney all week
6.  Joshua came home from school running a temperature this afternoon (but he's OK now, thankfully)
7.  Many of my friends' kids have been sick this week - lots of worried Mums :(
8.  I missed a deadline on Tuesday - only by 45 minutes and I warned the customer in advance, and it wasn't a problem.....but I HATE missing deadlines!
9.  Isabel had to be back at the endo this morning after another puking session and then threw up all her lunch.
10.  I had to field a number of comments about how soon I'd sent Isabel back to school, in the last couple of days, which led to me doing what I try not ever to do - feeling guilty!
11.  I had to deal with insensitivity today and I let it get to me instead of putting it in perspective, stepping back and showing some understanding....(blame the lack of sleep for that one)
12.  I missed exercising on Friday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
13.  I am just about to fall off the wagon....Bob got back and has gone out to buy a bottle of gin....

Well, there you have it.  I did that really quickly (apart from liability no. 13, which got added on right at the end after I'd said hello to Bob who came in as I finished writing no. 12). Realistically I can't think of any other major things to add to either list.

So I think we have to conclude that, even if you count Isabel's hospital visit as being worth two, three or even four times one asset, there are still more assets than liabilities....we are in the black :)

2 comments:

  1. Kerry, you withstand so much, all the challenges of the big D and work and so on, and you do it with such finesse............would never know you are running on so little sleep! Blessings to you, my friend...............you are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry, I am so sorry to hear Isabel was in the hospital. That alone will create chaos, let alone the 12 other 'crazies' of the week.

    Your positive attitude is awschum! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.