About Me

Wife, mum, Stoic. Life is GOOD.

Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Time to get motivated....The Follow-Up; and ramblings about Sunday

Ok, so last week's new routine hasn't exactly worked! Bob's work schedule threw me off whack completely and I haven't caught up on my sleep quite enough to be able to wake up and exercise at 5am. But I've stopped working in the evenings (well, pretty much) and have been in bed before 11.30pm every night since Friday :)

Baby steps.....

So, the plan is this:
1) Scrap the 5am start. Too ambitious. Instead, if Bob is walking I will go out running when he gets back (around 7am) or after I put Josh on the bus.  I will still aim to do at least one early ride every week but if I don't manage it, I'll do either 30-40 minutes on the cycle trainer OR take the bike over to East Coast Park, if I don't have too much work in.  If Bob is not walking I'll steal his slot and go out at 6am. That, I can manage :)
2) Still aim for a swim or gym session MOST days, at the kids' dinnertime.
3) Still agree not to work in the evenings and to focus on working during the day while the kids are at school rather than fitting in other things during the day and filling in the working time in the evenings.
4) Stick to the 11pm bedtime!
5) Stick to being on the wagon!

I think I can manage that.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday was a good day. Uncle Tony (who prefers to be called just Tony) is over from Sydney for work and we took him over to Pulau Ubin for the day. Pulau Ubin is a tiny little island just off Singapore. You get over there on a bumboat (it's less than 10 minutes - easy) and there isn't much there - a few eating places (including a very good Chinese "live" seafood place) and plenty of bike hire places, and some old-style kampong houses. It's a bit like what most of Singapore would have been about 70-80 years ago. We took the kids' bikes over, had a lovely lunch - prawns straight out of the tank, steamed Hong Kong fish also straight out of the tank, fried noodles, fried rice and chilli chicken - and headed off for a walk/bike ride. The kids loved it! The road is tarmac and there are only about 15 cars on the whole island, ferrying campers to the little campsite on the end of the island, so they can enjoy riding their bikes pretty freely. There are even a few hills to challenge them!  Unfortunately we didn't get far before a storm rolled in - but it did cool things down a bit and it was fun.  Going back on the boat in the thunder and lightning was exciting - shame the effect didn't come out on the photos! 

We then drove back listening to the kids' favourite tunes in the car - a bit of ABBA, The Baseballs, S-Club-7 and Tom Jones.  Imagine if you will the kids in their booster seats in the back of the car, with Mummy squished in between them, all disco-dancing and singing at the tops of our voices.....it was hilarious.  The kids were in hysterics, laughing so hard they could barely sit up straight! I LOVE making them laugh like that!

The rest of the afternoon was spent chilling out in front of a movie - we downloaded "Up", on Tony's recommendation, which was a big hit. The kids loved it! And there is some humour directed at adults as well - I can highly recommend it :)  Then we Skyped Grammie and Grandpa Ken - always a good way to round off a Sunday!

Sunday was also World Diabetes Day. We chose not to mark the occasion (we aren't big on occasion-marking in this family...I have never had a Valentine's card from Bob in 20 years!). We didn't wear blue or light up the house (Isabel doesn't own anything blue, anyway...).  We try not to make diabetes a big deal - it has to live with us, play by our rules - so we got on with having a great Sunday :) But I raised a glass in my heart to Isabel and Bob, who do so very well at managing their condition without any fuss and not letting it take over our family life. And to Joshua, who has the threat of it hanging over him and will do for the rest of his life, or until there is a cure. And to all the other kids and adults I know, who live with the condition day in and day out. And to their Mums and Dads, who care for them so well.  And to the doctors, scientists and researchers who are working so hard for a cure.  There will be one, soon. I am convinced of it!

So, a good day on Sunday all round. This week has got off to a good start too. Let's hope it continues in the same vein :)

Kerry xxx

2 comments:

  1. I thought your plan seemed CRAZY ambitious girl! Good for you to alter it to something "more manageable". Sounds like a great Sunday...Joe wore his blue hockey jersey - does that count? He had a hockey game. Otherwise, we didn't do much for WDD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration girl! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.