I’d like to share something that happened earlier this evening. I posted a status on Facebook about Isabel (aged 4) and her eating habits, and what we are doing to deal with this. The status – to those who don’t know me – may come across as a little harsh. Well, I’m a Brit and a fairly straight-talking one. Those who know me, understand that. I was not expecting to see another D-Mum lash out at me and accuse me of abuse. We all know how hard it is to deal with D in our kids. We all face daily challenges and we all deal with those challenges in different ways. My way is to try to be ALWAYS positive and loving with my whole family, not only my D-family. But we as a family believe VERY strongly that D has to live by our rules, and that we must have discipline and boundaries. I treat both my kids the same way – D or no D. With love, patience and laughter – and with firmness when they need it. Those who know me, know very well that I would never, EVER abuse my kids. We believe that it is important for Isabel to learn – the same as any other kid – respect, tolerance and compassion. And good behaviour and table manners. She also has the added pressure of learning to deal with a lifelong condition and learning to manage it with maturity and self-confidence. She will never learn that if at age 4 she is taught that she can get away with bad behaviour just because she is diabetic. I am actually a bit soft on her most of the time – it’s my T1 husband who is far firmer about the way we manage the kids’ behaviour and the way we manage Isabel’s diabetes, emotionally. We embrace diabetes. We are a stronger, closer, more loving family because of it. We have all learned to be tolerant of others, to live for the moment, to not worry so much about the future. Diabetes has brought many blessings into our lives. One of the most important of those blessings is the huge circle of loving, supportive, kind and thoughtful friends that it has introduced us to. We have found laughter, support and a great deal of love within the DOC. We try always to be a part of that and to offer the same in return to the good friends we have ‘met’. We are all in this together. We don’t judge, we don’t make assumptions, we don’t jump to conclusions, we don’t criticize. We give love, we give support, and we give friendship. I hope we all agree on that. I love you all, my friends and family. Thank you for your support! |
Random musings, snapshots of our life here in Singapore, funny stuff, deep thoughts (when I have time) and basically finding and focusing on the good stuff - love, hope, joy and laughter!
Thursday, 13 January 2011
To my friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOW! I am sorry to hear. You are an amazing friend, Mother, and supporter! Too many people allow D to be an "excuse" for everything! While it is true that their behaviors and emotional roller coasters are affected strongly by D, it doesn't mean they can get away with these bad behaviors.
ReplyDeleteYou Rock Kerry!!!
I am not good at keeping up on FB - too busy with blogging (LOL)...but, I think I did see something like bed without dinner? Funny I just had a similar issue this week with Joe. I am with you 100%. Parent FIRST! Pancreas SECOND...Love you and keep on doing a great job by your family.
ReplyDeleteMy motto: Never apologize or feel bad for doing something that works for your family. When someone else wears my shoes around for 542 hours straight, THEN they can have an opinion.
ReplyDeleteWe share so we can be heard and supported. Tsk, tsk for that someone who could not bite their tongue.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I, however, love that it brought about such a lovely worded and supportive post ;)
::Muah!::
That is horrible that another D Mama would lash out at you. Shame on her. I agree with Reyna. You have to be a parent 1st and Pancreas second. You are a wonderful mother, keep up the good work! ((hugs))
ReplyDelete