A D-Mum friend wrote a blog post a few days ago about diabetes intuition - i.e. how, when you have a child with diabetes, you sort of get 'in tune' with other diabetics and notice when they are high/low, need a glucose tab, etc. I commented that it has got me into a bit of trouble with Bob on occasion when I've tried to treat him as I would treat Isabel and been told to "back off! I can manage!" ....or words to that effect :)
Tonight was a classic example. Bob asked me, about an hour ago, if I would get him some cheese and crackers. He never asks for cheese and crackers, mid-evening. It was about 2 hours since we'd eaten a carb-free dinner, and he had had several glasses of red wine and was looking a little tired, shall we say.....so my immediate question was "Are you low? Should you test?"
"No. I'm fine. Just a bit hungry. Got the munchies."
"Are you sure? I'll get your meter...."
"NO! I'm fine. Just could do with a little something. I'm not crashing.....I don't want anything sweet......just.....could do with a little something."
I know when to back off.....so I pottered off into the kitchen and got him 2 oat cookies with some smoked salmon and cream cheese, and a glass of juice with a little sparkling water.
He inhaled the cookies and left the juice sitting on the little table next to the sofa, and got on with his wine and reading the Times on his iPad.
A few minutes later I reminded him to drink the juice.
"I'm FINE! I'll finish my wine first."
"Ok, just make sure you drink it."
He rolled his eyes. Grinned at me and finished his wine. Got on with the Times.
"Honey, drink that juice. Please."
Sigh. More eye-rolling. "OK. God, you worry sooooo much. It's totally unnecessary. I'll be high." He drank the juice.
10-15 minutes later...."I'm going to bed. Bit tired..... Are you working?"
"No, I'll come too.....tired myself." So we locked up, got water, found the cat, headed upstairs, did our teeth and so on. I went in to check the kids and came back into the bedroom to find him already in bed, snoozing. "Have you tested? You didn't test since before dinner, right?" "No, but I'm fine. Just tired." "No, I think you should test." "I'm FINE. But whatever - my meter is downstairs. You get it if you're that worried." ....so I headed downstairs to get the meter. More sighing and rolling of the eyes while he tested.
3.4
Ha! Wifey knows best. 3 glucose tabs later and he's fast asleep. Now, I bet he goes high in a couple of hours after all that protein and the low-GI oat cookies. So I said I would test him again when I get up to test Isabel at 1am (she was high and we did a 10pm site change so I'll test her at 1am tonight). Guess what he said? "No, don't worry. I'll be fine. You worry too much."
No, I don't think so. Just intuition. And I'll remind him of that next time he has a go at me for 'nagging' him! MEN!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! I can't tell you how much I needed a smile this morning.......LOVE THIS :) I can just see the look on your face -- knowing. Just knowing and smiling and then knowing some more :) I love these glimpses!!!!
ReplyDelete