Today I'm feeling all wobbly. I was feeling a little shaky after swimming at the local pool on Tuesday but put it down to lack of sleep, being carb-free for a week already and exercising. Yesterday, however, I felt really terrible during the day with on/off aches and waves of nausea, and woke up today with a pounding head, aching all over and feeling like the bed was on the deck of a small boat in a big storm at sea. Today's plan was to take the kids to Pasir Ris water park - well, no chance. I couldn't even drive Bob to work - he had to get a cab and was late. So Jenny stepped in with the kids and off they went in a taxi. I am now in bed, with my laptop, trying to get some work done that is due in this evening (if I do it now, I can get to bed early!)
Today's "Thankful Thursday" post is therefore about Jenny. Jenny is our helper/au pair and a real angel. She has been with us over 4 years and the kids love her to bits, like a big sister/young aunty. She has been through Isabel's diagnosis and the whole kiddy-diabetes learning curve with us, and is now confident and capable when it comes to looking after Isabel while I'm not there. Jenny cooks, cleans and does the shopping while the kids are at school, Bob is at work and I'm working or working out, and during school holidays she takes over with the kids if I have to meet a deadline or have a big project on. During school holiday time she and I share the shopping and cooking jobs depending on who's got the kids (and on my deadlines) and everything always gets done - she will do whatever needs doing, and is very adaptable to sudden changes of plan (like today).
In terms of personality - she is quiet, discreet and gentle. She hates to intrude on our space but loves feeling part of the family (she had a great time when we took her on holiday to Australia with us last year!) We make every effort to give her Sundays off but if we do need to ask her to work, she is always willing to help out and does so with a smile.
Jenny came to us from a Chinese family who had her working 18-20 hours a day looking after a family of 4 plus elderly grandparents. She was not allowed to use the washing machine or dryer (even though the family had one) - even the bedding had to be hand-washed. She did not have a single day off in 10 months and ended up going to an employment agency in desperation, who removed her from the family and took her on to their books to find her another job. When we interviewed her she seemed quite cowed and very nervous. I love the fact that she has blossomed in the last 4 years and is now a confident, happy young woman who seems to really enjoy being with us. I know she won't be with us forever - she has a long-term 'boyfriend' back in the Philippines and I expect one day she will want to go home and get married, and have her own kids. For the moment, though, she seems happy. We have taught the kids to treat her with respect and love. Many kids (and adults, in fact) here treat their helpers like slaves and are continually rude and demanding - I won't have that. It took Jenny months to get used to the fact that I am not only OK with her being firm with the kids, I expect it, when they are being naughty! She is still not quite as firm with them as I would be, but her gentle approach actually seems to get results sometimes (although there are times when I have to step in and read the riot act!)
In a nutshell, she is a blessing and I couldn't manage without her! Thank you Jenny!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.